EU Blue Card: What is it, and what is it for?

In this article

The EU Member States contain up to 25 countries that make critical decisions on international affairs. This includes the trading system, financial services, immigration and emigration rate, employment rate, and many others. Amidst this, some actions or activities require some special permit, one of which is the EU blue card.

What is an EU Blue Card?

The EU blue card is provided to allow EU nationals to own residents in the country, provided they meet the requirements. Therefore, every skilled individual has an opportunity to work in a European country. The card was introduced in 2009, and the aim is to provide more legal ground for every citizen of the EU.
The cardholder can come in and out of the country without any restriction. They will also get the same measure of treatment as the EU citizens. You can also switch employment from one EU member state to another, provided with the blue card. This allows for job flexibility for individuals and companies. However, after eighteen months of working on a temporary job, this can be done.
The foreign National should also inform the authorities of the immigrated state. However, Denmark, and Ireland, are not part of this deal.

What is the Usefulness of the EU Blue Card?

If you want to take on professional careers or highly skilled jobs, you need a blue card. All members of the EU states can get the blue card, except for Denmark and Ireland, as mentioned beforehand.
The exciting part of having an EU blue card is that you can relocate to other European countries with your family, provided each member is registered or recognized by the state. After staying for five years without breaking the law, you may be granted access to a permanent residence permit. However, you need to visit the territory of the Member State two years before when your five years stay will be over. By doing this, you have the privilege to apply for a work permit.

Who is Eligible to Obtain the EU Blue Card?

The EU blue card is only eligible for professionals who have met the criteria in their career, and it is also applicable for foreigners whose profession requires a higher qualification. This will give an opportunity for the European government to train highly skilled people and retain more talents in their work sectors.
It is the same criteria set for the eligible 25 EU member states, where the blue card can be used, but each state sometimes provides minor or additional criteria. This may be due to some security issues or political instability of such a state. Each has the right to the number of blue cards they are ready to release yearly for the eligible countries.
It would help if you met the following eligibility before applying for a blue card:
  • Have a Master's degree
  • A minimum of five years of experience in the chosen career field.
  • A minimum of a one-year job offers from a company in the country you are applying to.
  • Being paid the minimum salary threshold for the country you are applying to.
  • Have legal proof that you have met the requirements.

What is the Difference Between the ETIAS and Blue Card?

Often, people misunderstand the as the blue card, and meanwhile, they are two different permits that perform other functions. ETIAS only serves as a permit to carry out legitimate business or tourism in ETIAS European countries, and it does not give the holders a license for professional or skilled labor. The blue card provides the holder with access to professional skills, and it is not only a temporary permit like the ETIAS.
Read more about ETIAS application online on our website.

How to Apply for the EU Blue Card?

You can apply for the permit independently, or the company uses it on your behalf. This is usually done if the company or organization sponsors you for professional training or collaborations. Whichever way it is, you apply to the country you are going to, while some may attract an application fee.
You will need the following documents while applying for the EU blue card.
  • Make sure you provide the correct information in the application form, as it maybe used to get in touch with you in the future. You can either sign it yourself, or the employer does so on your behalf.
  • Get a valid passport that extends to a minimum of fifteen months, even after yourstay in the EU country expires.
  • Get copies of the pages where you attach your visa to the passport and the frontpage containing your information.
  • Attach a passport of fewer than three months to the required documents using awhite background. It should also be a colored photograph, using the ICAO standard.
  • Show proof of the degree you have obtained and work experience up to five years.
  • Make sure to upload an updated resume that contains your recent activities.
  • Have health insurance covered in your visiting country, sign the terms and conditions.

Please note that you cannot be jobless for three months in any case where you lose your job during your stay. Else, you will be asked to leave the country.
Written by: Fikayomi Abisola
Abisola is an ETIAS Travel and Immigration writer with several years of writing experience in the industry. Abisola has a unique enthusiasm for travels, tours, and tourism and loves to educate travellers about the criteria involved in international travelling.

Related Articles

France Digital Nomad Visa
Poland Digital Nomad Visa
Austria Digital Nomad Visa
Low Tax Countries in Europe
Is the Czech Republic Safe?
Is Iceland Safe?
Serbia Digital Nomad Visa
Montenegro Digital Nomad Visa
Latvia Digital Nomad Visa
Finland Digital Nomad Visa
Romania Digital Nomad Visa
EU Postpones Introduction of ETIAS Travel System to 2024
How Much Does a Trip to Spain Cost?
Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa
Everything You Need to Know About ETIAS Denial
Countries Felons Can Visit
Hungary Digital Nomad Visa
Winter in Spain
Italy Digital Nomad Visa
Is It Safe to Travel to Sweden?
Is It Safe to Travel to Italy?
Venice in Winter
Norway vs Sweden
Moving to Spain From the USA
Is Spain Safe?
Italy Solo Travel
New Year in Europe
Best European Cities to Visit in December
Winter in Germany
Hidden Gems of Italy
Best Christmas Markets in Europe
Italian Winter
Paris Traveling Tips
Living in Spain as an Expat
Winter in France
Best Time to Visit Greece
Best Time to Visit Norway
Is It Safe to Travel to Germany?
Is Croatia Safe?
Croatia Digital Nomad Visa: A Definitive Guide
Is It Safe to Travel to Poland?
Norway Digital Nomad Visa
Greece Digital Nomad Visa
Is It Safe to Travel to Norway?
Portugal Digital Nomad Visa
Estonia Digital Nomad Visa
The Roadmap to Spain Digital Nomad Visa
Your In-Depth Guide to Germany Digital Nomad Visa
Best European Countries for Expats
Tips You Need to Know When Traveling Europe
15 Greek Islands Americans Love to Visit
US Citizen Migrate to Germany
The Best Places to Visit in Germany When Travelling from USA
A Few Things to Know Before Traveling from America to Greece
Can Americans live safely in Germany?
Germany or The United States - Which Is Cheaper to Live In?
Places for Americans to Visit when Travelling to Greece
What is the Best Startup Visa Scheme in Europe?
The Key Information You Need to Know About the European Union Visa Policy Changes
How Does EES Differ from ETIAS - Everything You Should Know
How Long Can British Citizens Stay in Europe?
How Long Can You Stay in Europe Without a Visa?
Digital Nomad Visas in EU Countries
Which Countries Has the UK Agreed Trade Deals With?
Schengen Visa: Requirements & Application
All Information about European Golden Visa
Europe Travel: Why/When Will You Need ETIAS?
EU Blue Card: What is it, and what is it for?
Requirements for UK citizens when travelling to Europe
Where Can Americans Travel in Europe?
Differences between EU, EEA, EFTA, and Schengen countries
European Health Insurance Card
Who needs a Schengen Visa?